Saturday, July 31, 2010

What is your sin? Cabaret and the 7 Deadly Sins.


Last night we were mesmerized as Tim Rogers and his 7 piece band, belted out their definitions of the 7 Deadly Sins through music, at the Opera house. Cello, double bass, piano, violin, accordion, guitar, drums and vocals created the sound and essence of each of the 7 deadly sins.

Which prompted us to ponder: what are our vices?

What are your biggest sins out of the 7?

1. Lust
2. Greed
3. Wrath
4. Sloth
5. Pride
6. Envy
7. Gluttony

I had to confess that we didn't need the cheese platter that we indulged in after the show at the Opera Bar. Gluttony would be on my list of sizable sins. It was, however, the best blue cheese I have ever sampled.

I don't see lust as a sin, unless misplaced or misdirected.

Sloth - I am definitely prone to an unmotivated moment, when I get one, only because I am so ridiculously busy the majority of the time.

Envy: I did envy the non-working group of Yummy Mummys at the park the other day. They talked of their love of not working, of going to the gym and putting their babies in the creche. They had six packs and ran half marathons in their free time??? I tried going to the gym after Lil was born (5 years ago). She screamed so much in the creche, that the child care workers had to keep paging me.

Wrath: I get cranky when I get tired, does that count? I seem to be tired most of the time......
Oh and I get cranky when I'm hungry. Wrath would be witnessed when I'm both hungry and tired.

Pride: Yes, I am very proud but always humble enough to apologise, tell the truth and acknowledge other people's endeavours and achievements.

Greed: not relevant to me. I don't aspire to material or monetary wealth. I will take comfort, simplicity, safety, security and homeliness over decadence, excess and wastefulness.

How do you rate? Be honest!

Love a red wine or three? Chocolate by the square or by the block?

6 comments:

  1. I think as a whole, I do pretty well when I judge myself against this list of 7 - 'gluttony' is a bit of a problem when I just done a yummy batch of baking (ie. I've already eaten 3 pieces of the slice I made today) and as for 'sloth' - I have more of an issue actually starting something, then I work hard. However, if 'procrastination' and 'indecisiveness' were sins, I'd be in trouble :) Glad you had a nice night out. Have a lovely start to your week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send lily to the creche and borrow a six pack from the yummy mummys for her to take with her she,ll forget your gone by the second beer.lol clearly I joke but you are a yummy mummy yourself dear just one with work ethics.
    The life of a yummy mummy is a boring one that doesnt allow for much personal development you are career driven and a loving mother and partner that provides a solid role model for Lily.xox
    As for my sins GLUTTONY Oh how I love food amazing that im still size 10 and not 24 Eric just shakes his had a the amount I eat in a loving smile.xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tracey, show me someone who hasn't given all of these a look-in at some stage, in some small way and I'll show you a saint! And completely agree with your view on lust of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI
    Do you even need to ask me after the girls weekend? All we did is eat.And considering I am having a sex toy party this Saturday I may fail in a few of the areas!!! I agree with you on sloth, sometimes I feel like a sloth but I think that it is because I am so bloody tired that my body refuses to move, I'm not sure this should be classed as sloth though.
    As for envy i am very very envious of Jess and Mitch at the moment as they are traveling to fabulous places and seeing wonderful things. I am very happy for them though and love hearing their stories. I would love to travel the world with Simon.
    As for greed I am also with you, sure there are things that I am saving for and would like but I am not dying to have them. I think that you become more interested in materialistic things when your life is not happy in other areas. I also think that thinking wishing for and saving for things is half if not more than half of the fun of getting them, for example I am one of those shoppers who have to look around at a million different shops before I buy something as I find this to be half the fun. (I can almost hear you moan at that thought!!!)
    Anyway I have to go and sloth, read my book
    and go to sleep (sleep-something that I am also jealous of others for)
    Love lynelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am GREEDY for time & ENVY people who seem to manage theirs so well.
    I feel great WRATH when I have been a SLOTH and have wasted time or an opportunity.
    I feel PRIDE in a job well done, but I am not arrogant.
    I believe that LUST coupled with loyalty is the recipe of a great marriage ;-)
    I think GLUTTONY coupled with good taste & a bit of good exercise is important for the soul!
    All these 'sins' are only truly deadly if misplaced. Mostly, with good management, they can be turned into positives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have been guilty of all 7 from time to time but it's the slab of chocolate that gets me every time! Ahhhhhh.... my mouth is watering just thinking of it. This is a very funny and interesting post! Love it!
    I hope you're doing well hun and having a great weekend with your gorgeous family.
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete