Monday, July 19, 2010

Home to Mum and Dad's Farm


We went home to Mum and Dad's on the weekend. On my first night there I read a novel from woe to go, because in the presence of her Nanny, Poppy and Aunty Trudy (who was also home, from Sydney), Paul and I are both obsolete to Lily. Lily follows her Poppy around like a puppy dog; feeding the animals, shifting the fences, breaking in the horses, testing 50 cows for pregnancy! You can see her little, pink gum boots marching in the paddocks, a mile away from the house.

Poppy had arranged to give Lily a new, baby lamb, to keep for a pet - that was the reason for our trip. When we arrived and Lily was shown her baby lamb, which she named 'Pat', she then asked Poppy if the next animal he could get her could be a giraffe????? Poppy replied that he would if he could! I think they ended up agreeing on a piglet.

Little Pat is so soft and cuddly. Her tiny, little bleat nearly makes your heart cry. She is so timid and likes to stay close to her Mummy.

Animals are so therapeutic. My sister and I both had a pet lamb when we were at high school and we had to get up through the night, every four hours to feed Nonny and Mo, their warm bottle. I want this experience for my girl. I am so pleased that Lily loves animals and is so kind to them.

On Saturday morning, we 'went into town'. We visited my Aunty and Uncle, who own the 'Farm Produce Store'. We had lunch with them at 'Bent on Food' and I bought a love heart, black board from 'Bent on Life', the kitchenalia and homewares store in Wingham. I then perused the new book shop in Wingham. Wingham 'the friendly town', has never had a book shop, so I spent up big in support of this quaint, little store, so that it remains open for my subsequent visits.

When we returned home 'from town' someone had placed a block of wood, from the wood pile, at each door of Mum and Dad's house, denoting that a visitor had been. Last time I was home, a visitor had placed our gum boots in a fancy arrangement at the back door, indicating, once again, evidence of a visit - in our absence ---- a country thing...

Mum and Dad are always entertaining. People drop by continually. We had coffees, drinks, cups of tea, cheese platters and home grown, grain fed, T-bone steak and salad with relatives and friends whilst we were home.

Just what the doctor ordered.

6 comments:

  1. How lovely that your daughter can enjoy the animals and her own lamb. Farm life is so rewarding and interested for children and adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time Tracey. I think running a bookshop in a country town would be the best job ever! How wonderful that Lily gets to experience the wonder of animals up close like that. Good luck with the giraffe..I love that that's what she wanted next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it- we were within a stones throw of each other on the weekend! Elissa & David have just bought a property off Cedar Party Road & we spent the whole day there on Saturday- eating, feeding chooks, strolling the grounds! Next time we're up that way let Farmer Pete know we're coming to say g'day!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline - Mum and Dad would love to see you again! You know how they are - Mum would pop the kettle on and Dad and Lily would want to show Noah and Sebastion the animals. So pleased for Elissa and David! Tracey xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you all had an awsome weekend on the farm. Nice for us city folk to put our gummies on1
    I have a lovely picture in my mind of Lily in her pretty pink gummies with her hand in her poppa's and 'feeding out' to the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you and your beautiful family, and the stories you share xx

    ReplyDelete