Saturday, July 3, 2010

Satiating creative pursuits


The above picture is a drawing from C.S Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - the story of which, I have been in love with ever since I was a little girl. Like Lucy, we sometimes wish to peer into our future, plan for our goals and realise our dreams.

I spoke to my friend Simon on the phone a couple of nights ago and he told me that he had written a new 5 year plan, for his life. In essence - his hopes for the next 5 years. He bought himself a banjo and is going to find a teacher to help him learn how to play. I think this is a noble and a sensible pursuit. His wife may think it expensive and time consuming! However, every man and every woman needs a hobby.
What sustains you outside of work? What is your 5 year plan? Has your plan changed? Mine has changed of late - Simon has inspired me to re-plot my goals. Why? I feel I have so many things to do and achieve in this life and not enough time to do them.
I have so many creative pursuits on the back burner. Another mosaic project is dancing in my head. I want to create a sign that hangs beside our front door which reads: Lily Kate Cottage, thus naming our home after our beautiful girl.
There are so many little, somewhat trivial things that I am saving up for/would like to buy in order to make our home more comfortable. Little items that swirl in my mind:-
--- thick and heavy, straw coloured curtains for our bedroom, to block out the light, since our neighbours cut down their tree, that used to block the street light!
--- a duck egg blue, antique light or wall sconce, in the shape of a tulip's bell to put above the chair beside the fireplace.
--- a freestanding light to stand beside the couch, to create another reading spot.
--- an exquisite ivory dossier, with quality paper for me to place photos of miss Lily and the pressed flowers and leaves that she has given me over time. Complete with drawings and scribbled comments, pieces of her hair ribbons etc.
--- would a dishwasher be too much to ask? For those of you that have one, do you recommend one? I am not sold on the idea yet, but people who have a family seem to love their dishwasher.
--- another visit from the electrician to install more power points in our old house, that was built at a time when only one power point per room was installed (if that). They didn't have all the appliances and mod-cons of today. With the increase in price of electricity, and the effect on the environment of carbon emissions, this should be at the bottom of our list, I know.
What's driving you? What do you source and scour when you get out and about? What's on your wish list?
Off to ice my favourite, homemade cake - Lime & Poppy Seed - Yum!
Paul is building a bed for our little, campervan Rosie. He is talking to me about what lengths of wood he will need. He will go pottering about in the timber yard up the road today. I can tell this makes him very happy.
Happy hobbying! Whatever you are into!

4 comments:

  1. Trace I love this post. I too, love the book "The Lion the witch and the wardrobe" there are so many messages from this book... I try to read it regularly as I loved it as a little girl, as do all my children.
    Yes I constantly try to have a 5 year plan and work towards a place where I want to be in 5 years... In all areas- physical, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.
    YES definitely work towards getting a dishwasher you will use it all the time and your kitchen will always look beautiful. I love my dishwasher it is a well used appliance.
    I am going to let you in on a little secret... I do not have an ironing board!!! I have never ever believed in ironing and if I ever get desperate I just use a towel on the floor to quickley run the iron over a piece of clothing. To me it is just a waste of time to spend hours ironing when I could be doing something so much more effective.
    So Yes dishwashers are way more important than things like an ironing board.
    I also have things in the back of my head that I dream about for my home to make it more comfortable, more aesthetically pleasing, more livable.
    I can't wait to get my roof to floor bookshelves that will line each wall of my book room.Or my outdoor setting so we can eat outside on a warm summers night. Or a beach scene done on split canvases for the wall above my lounge.
    It is so good to have things we are working for. I was just telling Gab that you are one of those people that inspire me to be more of a positive people person. You are very good at making people feel valued and special.
    My 5 year plan includes working towards this, as I have observed some really great skills you have in this area.People always feel special when you have spent time with them and I need to take a leaf out of your book.
    Love Ya
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bootiful Cath - I have replied on your blog, cherry pie x o Tracey.
    You are so kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracey,
    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today and for your lovely comment. Wow I feel very flattered that you would ask my advice on how I 'do it all' as I don't feel like I 'do it all' more that I 'just do it' day by day.

    I've been looking through your blog and your little Lily is just gorgeous, she looks so cute in her ballet outfit.

    I really liked this post of yours and it sort of tied back to your question to me so here goes:

    I do make a 5 year plan and my husband and I do together as well. It really helps map out the steps we need to take and where we need to focus to get where we want to go, but in saying that I know that anything and everything can change in an instant so I don't like to focus toooo much on goals.

    I'm very lucky to have a really supportive family, my Mum helps me out when i need her and have also leart to say no when I need to. I try to remember to put my family first when making all decisions.

    I also pray a lot before I make a big decision and believe in 'you reap what you sow' so I like to help out and give back as much as I can.

    I'm just so glad that my 'work' is my creativity and I always wanted to be able to stay at home with my bub/s so being able to do that (even though it's hard work too) keeps me going.

    I don't know what else to say but thank you again for your lovely blog comment and I am now a follower of your blog adn I look forward to getting to know you more :) Isn't blogging amazing?

    Have a lovely day,
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janette -
    Thanks for your ideas and advice. I have replied at length on your blog today.
    Tracey at Velvetine Lily x o

    ReplyDelete