Sunday, July 4, 2010

Every domestic goddess needs a lemon tree growing in their back yard


Imagine my joy today as I went to make myself a slice of toast, slickered with segments of avocado, seasoned with salt and pepper and drizzled with lemon juice - drawn from the lemons of our own tree!

Every farm house I lived in as a child had a gnarled lemon tree growing in the back yard. It created appeal and convenience.

What's not to love about lemons? It is essential to have them on hand. They look great in a bowl. They season avocado on toast - perfectly.

Sweet, flat head fillets, drizzled with lemon juice, make a meal - one that is simple and that we have often. Lemons have the finesse to tizz up icing and they are refreshing in soda water.

I can't imagine life without our lemon tree.

2 comments:

  1. I love your lemon tree Tracey and all your vegies for that matter!! Just wanted to say thanks also for your lovely well wishes. I am sorry it has taken so long for me to visit your gorgeous blog.

    You also asked me about my reasons for blogging...Until December last year I had never seen a blog and stumbled across one whilst googling for an Xmas pressie. I loved the blog and found another blog through that first one. I needed to know about blogs for the ICT unit I will be doing next semester and decided to start one to develop my computer skills whilst also keeping a journal of our home and homelife. I had no idea about followers and never expected anyone to ever read my blog. So here I am 6 months later and now I still definitely blog for myself, but the social interaction with such like-minded people, the motivation and inspiration that I gain every single day from this wonderful blogging community is now also a big reason as to why I blog. So, there you have it in a very small nutshell :) Sorry for the novel Tracey! Hope you are having a great break ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! We sadly have a tiny postage stamp back yard at the moment- paved- not a blade of grass to be seen. a HUGE downfall of this inner-city life we have chosen.
    our last place had quite a long narrow garden which i filled to the brim with rhubarb, zucchini, eggplant, beans, cauli, thyme, lemongrass.... anything seasonal. It is such a joy to dig ones hands in the dirt. I share your (& Paul's) love.
    I do have pots- lots of them. Herbs, but unhappily no vegies. I am, however, seeking out a cumquat for a particularly big tub!

    Trace... I will get back to you shortly re this Saturday- I would LOVE to see you, but there is some talk of heading to mum & dad's for w/e.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete