Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Tablecloth and a Teapot

There are 2 things that my grandmother holds in high esteem - a tablecloth and a teapot. When she comes to stay at the end of this month, she will insist that both of these items are on the table.

I am back to the grind, back to work this week and to dull the routine, I am ordering some vintage material online. Ma is going to sew a couple of table cloths and pillow cases for me during her stay. Much to her disappointment (even though she bought me a brand new sewing machine before Lily was born) - I am not a sewer -at all.

In fact Paul had to take up sewing in our household, some time ago, after we returned from Sydney one weekend, with me crying in the car, having bought reems of material and not having the foggiest idea of how to sew, nor the inclination or the patience.

Ever patient and calm, in order to alleviate my heartbreak, Paul taught himself how to wind the bobbin, change the cotton, buy and replace broken needles etc, thus sewing and outfitting our entire campervan, Rosie, with a full set of curtains and making the cushions and tablecloths that I envisaged out of the reems of material that I had selected. When Lily or I have "repairs" now, we put them on "Paul's repair pile". So although it's fair to say that Paul got into this vocation out of obligation rather than pleasure, I am grateful.

Paul cuts the material with a stanley knife - Ma, will not approve of this method!

3 comments:

  1. hee hee.... everything is sweet... especially your choice in tea pot and tablecloth (I assume this pic is from your house?) and the fact Paul cuts material with a stanley knife.
    I am hopeless with sewing too Trace, but I (occasionally) try... I have big ideas, and have tried crazy sewing ventures (an enclosable cocoon!! Kinda like a sleeping bag, with hand stitched patchworky flowers and soft woolen vines.... sounds better than it is in reality!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, you are hilarious and gorgeous and that cocoom/papoose idea is so you and so beautiful!!!! Honey, regarding the sewing, you don't need to worry - you are the only person I know who can write there own music!!! That astounds me. Yep, pic taken at our house, cloth made by Paul via Stanley, his helper x o I am so impressed with your dedication to my blog. Man, Trudy must be paying you very handsomely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooops sorry Claire -typo, 'their' (in the middle of cooking dinner) - I need an editor.

    ReplyDelete