Friday, April 30, 2010

Not just random acts of kindness, but someone going completely out of their way for another...

Last week I mentioned to Sandy, our librarian at school, that I was trying to find the story book of the 'Town and the Country Mouse', as I love that fable and I wanted to read it to my daughter, Lily.


Sandy looked in our school library and found a version as old as Aesop himself.

Yesterday, I sat down to our morning, staff meeting and Sandy handed me a big, white, bubble-wrapped package, containing a beautifully illustrated, brand new copy of 'the Town and the Country Mouse'.

This gorgeous woman went online, in her own time, using her own money and waded through various versions of the book and bought me the very best copy that was available! Lily received it today for her birthday.


What a thoughtful and immense act of kindness. An act that invloved someone going totally and completely out of their way for another.

And another thing ------ one day I was at school and I said to a fellow teacher, "I love that grey, wool dress that you are wearing!" The next day, that very same, grey, wool dress - appeared in my pigeon hole with a note saying:

"For you Tracey... when I wore this dress yesterday I decided it would be the last time I ever wear it again!" Love Barbie x o

Thus, the grey, wool dress is now mine!

Times like these amaze and bemuse me!

Have you ever experienced another human being showering you with an almost sentimentally sigificant act of kindness?

Would you ever register as being the person behind someones' gift of kindness?

A lady, a complete stranger offered to pay for my coffee the other day, when I got to the counter at Gloria Jeans with no change and only my credit card. I kindly declined her offer and told her what a wonderfully generous woman she was.

Sometimes, just giving credit where credit is due - is sufficient enough. I am a real believer in always giving credit where credit is due. Complimenting someones' necklace at work if it catches your eye as you pour your coffee. Acknowledging everyones' presence in a room, in some small way.

Interestingly, we often bemoan being at work, but as my friend Lynelle pointed out from my previous post, sometimes those little compliments from colleagues at work, a little chat, light banter or a a commiseration of life's daily grind- is a necessary burst of energy and adult human contact and sharing, THAT JUST MAKES OUR DAY.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAUTIFUL GIRL - 30th April, 5 years ago, you were born.

5 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday to your sweet Lily!! I hope you all enjoy this wonderful day:) Wishing you all a wonderful weekend too ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina I love having little visits from you! You enjoy your weekwnd my darling x o Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to the beautiful little Lily. What a wonderful life ahead of her with a beautiful Mum such as you Trace. She will be such a success in all aspects of her life because of the lovely spirit around her created by you. AND what an inspiring little message on random acts of kindness I have always loved and appreciated the acts of kindness that surrounds us and that I have encounted in my lifetime.... Many from beautiful people at work and many from Sandy... what a lovely woman she is I could tell you many kind kind stories about her I love her so much.. Can I say you will always recieve kindness Trace as you are indeed a kind kind Lady. Love you heaps Cath xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I have to share a story that happened to one of the teacher's aides at our school. She is a lovely lay who has had a terribly bad time lately (very messy marriage break-up, financial problems etc.etc.etc.) . She decided to go and get her toe nails painted and as she was getting her feet prepared for painting she was conversing with the lady next to her, nothing about her life problems but idle chit chat. Then as she was looking down at her toes getting painted she felt someone kiss her on the neck and put something in her hand and tell her she was a beautiful person. It was the lady she had met and she had given her $40 then walked out of the shop, my friend ran out after her with things between her toes to give the money back but said that she seemed to disappear. A lovely story for a lady who is doing it tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - Lynelle and Cath I only just found your comments this morning.

    Lynelle - that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!! I love that story.

    Cath - Sandy is gorgeous, as are you. So lucky to work with friends. x o

    ReplyDelete