Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Have you noticed: when you most feel like comfort food, you least feel like cooking it?


On the weekend, in the pouring rain, I read a magazine by the fire and was entranced by the 'Comfort Food' section.

Beef Bourgignon, Apple & Rhubarb Crumble and Baked Rice Custard, were calling me! The styling in the food section was warm, cosy, rustic and delicious.

I, however, was feeling lazy, tired and totally unmotivated and couldn't be bothered getting off the lounge to get a tissue, let alone whip up a steaming hot bowl of comfort food (not to mention having to firstly go and fetch the ingredients in a torrential down pour).

Bless your heart Paul.

Coming home tonight (in more rain) to Paul's Beef Bourgignon with mashed potatoes and mopping up the sauce that had been simmering in red wine and sherry, for hours - was pure, unadultered gold!

Yummo ...... the meat, mushroom and carrots had caramelised together, the meat falling apart on my fork.

Thank God for you, Paul Maxwell M.

I would like to keep you forever! x o x o x




2 comments:

  1. Trace what a wonderful thought. I feel so comforted when I have a glass of red wine in hand and I make a really good marinated lamb roast. I make little golden raost potatoes and a beautiful chopped salad to go with the roast all with a mushroom sauce(we love mushroom sauce) slithered over the top.
    Yum Yum Nothing better.
    Ill get you over one day to enjoy with us.
    Love Ya Cath xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. butter fingers or what!? how could we have slipped out of each others grasps yet again!!?? love you and your work you gorgeous angelic girlxxx
    my comfort foods are so varied. in Vietnam, when I missed Aus I made soup- a big pot of vegie or chicken soup. now when i miss Vietnam, all I want is rice & pho;-)
    you are an inspiration hoppykins... a novelist indeed xxx

    ReplyDelete