Saturday, May 29, 2010

You are what you read. What are you currently reading?


I looooove airport bookshops. On my way home I came across this memoir in the airport bookshop. It is deep and poignant. It is by Joanne Fedler and it is pertinent to every woman.
Although it is called "When Hungry Eat" and it begins with Joanne's journey to shed a couple of kilos - it is not a dieting book. Thankfully, you will not find dieting advice and food plans in here!
It is an intimate and moving story of Joanne's life, her recent move from South Africa (her home country) to Sydney. She discusses the injustices of Apartheid and the fact that in Africa, a woman who carries a few extra kilos is beautiful, healthy and above all supremely lucky.
I recommend this book. I admire Joanne's moral purpose and I am loving her day to day meanderings about her kids, her hubby and her life.
My books are my friends and for this reason, I have difficulty parting with them. I hoard, admire and run my hands over their spines on the shelf. Each one reminds me of when and where I was in life, when I read them. All of my books are dog eared and have writing in the margins.
Make this book, one in your collection.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation Tracey. I'm like you...love my books although when I moved into the townhouse I had to seriously downsize and gave away hundreds of books to Lifeline. I miss them :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the feeling of missing them! I gave away a book that I read at Monkey Mia, in Western Australia, some years ago. I was at really important juncture in my life and I mourn that book! I had all these snippets written in the margin - I hope it went to a good home!

    Tracey x o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you Tracey, I can't let go of my books. The thought of a Kindle makes me squirm....and sad...I don't want the written word on paper to become obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trace I love love love my books.I have all my books still that I read in my childhood... Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Katie series, Have you ever heard of Jane of Lantern Hill or Fourteen Fourteens. Oh My God I have just had the best trip down memory lane because of your little blog. I just rang my mum and we had such a great talk about all the old books that I read. They were the ones my mum read when she was a little girl and I still have them.
    Thankyou so much Beautiful girl. Love ya xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cath - I don't know of the 'Fourteen Fourteens' or 'Jane of Lantern Hill' but who could ever forget good old 'Trixie Belden'.

    I want to read 'The Magic Faraway Tree' again

    x o Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Razamataz -

    Some people don't know what the joy of reading or writing is.

    I wish my favourite thing to do was not as sedentary!

    So many of my women friends are into running half marathons at the moment.

    Give me a good book any day.

    Tracey x o

    ReplyDelete