Friday, May 28, 2010

TOO CONTRIVED. My Little Lord Fauntleroy.



I am trying to contrive an image of Lily to hang above our fireplace. I received a letter in the mail for a free photo session, from a local photographer.

Being Winter, I bought Lily a cream, woolen, 'Little Lord Fauntleroy' type jacket, with an ivory satin ribbon, tied in a bow, to be worn with ivory ballet shoes and an ivory dress.

Lily won't have a bar of it (the jacket, that is)! "But it's itchy Mummy!", she said. She actually pronounces it "aaatchy" (which added to the "Fantleroy-ness of the situation).

"But it goes with the 'sand' coloured frame that Mummy has", I retorted. "It matches the antique white mantel piece", I whined. I proceeded to pat her saying, "But you look like a soft, velvet rabbit in it". "And it comes with a matching woolen handbag! Please be my 'Little Lord Fauntleroy", I begged.

Lily became a very disgruntled, little customer indeed and blew up and yelled "I am not 'Little Lord Fauntleroy!" Even though she hasn't the foggiest who this actually is, she knew she was not him.

I was disappointed about the jacket and the fact that Ma may now have to fashion it into a pair of slippers - but I absolutely cracked up laughing.

Lily does florals and polka dots, floppy hats and stripy stockings so much better. That is my baby's style! She is a little, bohemian individual. Her Daddy once said with a loving smile, "Tracey, she dresses like a homeless person."

Lily picks, mixes and matches her own outfits and who else but YOU, my darling girl, can get away with spots and stripes.

Lily Kate, you are one very groovy, little monkey.

x o x

2 comments:

  1. Oh that was too good! I love that she's boho already...you go Lily. Those clothes look great though..I'd be hanging them for effect somewhere! Have a wonderful weekend with the fam Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry - My Mum is disappointed too that she won't wear the jacket ... so classic and cute.

    When Lily tried it on in the shop and we purchased it (I purchased it, Lily concluded that it was "aaatchy", from the very outset), a lady customer adored Lily sooooo much in the jacket, with the "quaint little satin bow" that she bought one for her grand daughter.

    Lily Kate, Mummy was going for a beautiful photograph of you, that you can pass onto your grand children one day! Alas.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete