Friday, May 14, 2010

Let's do it again tonight - one more time, with feeling !

...organise dinner, that is.

Last night there was not a lot of feeling involved - I called into our local Charcoal Chicken (the friendly folk know me by name) on my way home from work, picking up a chicken, greek salad and chips. I simply needed fuel to feed a hungry family, not a gourmet sensation.

There was not a lot of feeling involved in last Thursday night's dinner either - boiled eggs with soldiers (even though Lily cheers when I announce that this is on the menu).

Paul has touch football on a Thursday night, so Thursday is our 'easy' night of the week.

At the beginning of this week, I (alone) went shopping, hunting and gathering the week's worth of meals. [Usually Paul does the grocery shopping and half of the cooking].

It is now Friday and I am nearing the end of my list, before I once more have to plan and do it all again!

This week I planned and we ate:

Monday
Rice paper rolls with prawns, avocado, coriander, mushroom, cucumber, capsicum and dipping sauce.

* I took the left over cut up vegetables from the rice paper rolls, in a salad to work the next day.

Tuesday
I cooked spaghetti bolognaise.

Wednesday
I made sure I had enough spaghetti bolognaise to last another night.

Thursday
Charcoal Chicken

Friday
I could do my risotto? Or, there is certainly enough chicken and vegetables to make a chicken salad? Ma's slow cooked meat balls? There's a lot of love, a lot of feeling in the moulding, shaping and slow cooking of those? They are healthy and nourishing and not from a fast food outlet.

When Paul came home I had decided .

We went to our local and had a dozen oysters done 3 ways, grilled King fish with salad and chips and a chardonnay/beer in the salty air.

Tonight - I simply could not make dinner one more time, with feeling.

I could not proverbially, dutifully, rest back, chop up and think of England.

What did you plan/have this week?

What did you have tonight?

As soon as we plan tonight's meal - tomorrow night is upon us!

I am a weekend cook. Thank goodness Paul usually feeds hunts and gathers for us during the week!

Bon appetite for another night x o

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the sound of your dinner tonight Tracey! Flu hit me today so Dave (who has cooked 3 meals in the 24 yrs we have been together....) bought takeaway Chinese for him and the girls...You have inspired me to make rice paper rolls tomorrow though (they are usually my study food). Hope you have a wonderful weekend and not too much report writing is involved!! Hugs to you~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey,
    I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and left such a sweet comment! I am very glad to get the chance to meet you. My dream is to someday visit Australia, and I am looking forward to reading about your life down there! Have a lovely weekend.
    ~Elissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina -I wish I could fly in meals on wheels for you in the form of oysters and kingfish!

    You poor, little supermum - your Dave , although not a cook, I am sure does a lot of wonderful things for you - including looking after the girls when you are sick. You take care and get the girls to spoil you.

    Enjoy your rice paper rolls - lots of veg to make you healthy. Our friends Simon and Lynelle make them with chicken breast (cut into strips and sizzled in a pan for a couple of minutes with a Teriyaki/marinade pouch from Masterfoods or something??). Really quick and yummy and easy if you are sick or cant get fresh prawns.

    Poor little pet, I feel like preparing and serving this to you.

    Get better. Tracey x o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fern Valley Farm -

    Do you remember the English television series of the 'Good Life' - set in the 70's?

    I got the series for Mother's Day and we are addicted to it at our house. It is the one program that all of us, the whole family - can watch and love together. Lily is 5 and she loves it - the pigs, the goat called Margot, the chooks etc... anyway your home/farm/blog reminds me of this television series. What a beautiful way to live.

    Tracey x o

    ReplyDelete
  5. LADIES -

    I HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS LITTLE BLOG OF MINE IS QUITE HELPFUL IN KEEPING THE LINES OF COMMUNICATION OPEN IN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PAUL AND I.

    WHY?

    MY BLESSED PAUL - WHO CHECKS INTO MY BLOG DAILY (OFTEN OUR LAP TOPS SIDE BY SIDE) READ MY BLOG ABOUT THE MY MENTAL ANGUISH ABOUT PREPARING THE MEALS FOR THIS WEEK AND ROSE FOR HIS MORNING SURF TO TELL ME THAT AFTER THAT HE HUNTED AND GATHERED THE FOOD FOR THE WEEK AND WILL BE COOKING DINNER TONIGHT!!!!!!!

    GOD BLESS THIS BEAUTIFUL MAN!!!! X O X O

    LADIES - ANY RELUCTANT, RECALCITRANT MEN OUT THERE? ?????????????

    SOLUTION - GIVE HIM THIS BLOG POST TO READ !!!!!!!!!!! HOUSEHOLD CHORES SHOULD BE SHARED.

    REMIND YOUR MAN - HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE !!!!!!

    (I SAY THIS A LITTLE TONGUE IN CHEEK)

    GOOD LUCK IN DIVYING UP THE WORK LOAD !!!!!!!

    TRACEY X O

    ReplyDelete