Monday, October 18, 2010

True Friends - True Colours



In the holidays we entertained friends from Boston (Mark, my old school friend and fellow prefect), friends from Annandale/Sydney, friends from Shelly Beach and we were entertained by friends from Tarbuck Bay, Toukley and Wingham.

We had many play dates for Lily, including the one in the picture above at my friend Belynda's place or 'Grudes' as she is always referred. All the kids hopped in the bath together on a cold day after their swim in the pool. These kids have been hanging out with each other since they were born, in fact - well before.

On play dates such as these I notice that each of us mothers each others' children in some way. One of us will run the bath, another Mum will get the kids out of the bath, let out the water and dry the whole crew - because we totally trust one another.

From left to right in the photo above; Zayne, Lily, Talen, Sophia and Xavier have an affinity with each other, like that of the bond that is present between their Mums.

Xavier and (my) Lily are only a day apart in age. When Leisa, Xav's Mum went into labour, I was sure I wasn't just going out in sympathy! No, I was on the phone at the time, at about nine o'clock at night and Grudes assured me that my complaints of bad period pain, were the beginning of the rumblings...sure enough, by 12 that night the ambulance had come, I was taken to hospital and Lily was born at sun rise that morning.

Leisa and Grudes are a whirling dervish of drama and intrigue. Both of them are teachers and I can best describe them by saying, if there was a child on the roof at school, neither one of them would think twice about scaling the building and sitting on the roof to talk a kid down. They are honest and generous and would give you their last dollar. Perhaps they are surprised that I have lumped them together and described them similarly, but they are - similar in some ways, in terms of their values. They are both fiercely loyal and I have witnessed both of them as they have gone into bat for me on several occassions.

Hendo is the bloke of our group, also a teacher, he dotes on his little girls at play dates such as these. His elfin featured little girls; Zoe and Ava, greatly resemble his beautiful wife, Joanna. Hendo is our male perspective on all things feminine.

Our friends can recognise our handwriting instantly, what type of books we read, the words we consistently say - but aren't even consciously aware of and our friends hold a mirror up to ourselves. Each meeting or encounter with our friends reinforces that we are 'known' and that we 'belong'.

True friends know our idiosyncrasies and love us anyway. Lynelle, knows that I don't do 'stand up' concerts anymore or in fact anything compromising my comfort and as such her and Simon accommodate my every need and whim when I stay with them. I know Lynelle disinfects the receiver of the telephone after someone with a cold has spoken into it, and I can pay her out and stir her up about this profusely, because I know her. Friends have come and gone but my friendship with Lynelle has stood the test of time. Lynelle married my friend Simon from primary school and together all 3 of us have a very special bond. I am also pleased that Lynelle married Simon because he is an exceptional cook! The dishes that he tries out he tries out on us!

My friend Caroline is an arbour of strength, tenacity and creativity and like a bird she is drawn to pretty, shiny things to feather her nest - thus her recent trip to our neighbourhood to scour the antique shops.I kept spotting things that 'looked like Caroline' and she spotted a table cloth that 'looked like me'. So convinced she was that it was "my effect", that she said "If you don't buy it, I am buying it for you!"

These holidays I connected with so many different friends on so many different levels. What a nourishing, uplifting bunch of catch-ups.

5 comments:

  1. True indeed nothings changed over all these years I remember Caroline as the kindest friend to you.And a very humourous person.I used to pay you two 'beavers' out about referring constantly to things as peoples effects laughing at you two such antics!.
    So lovely that Lily and Xavier are so close in age he looks like a cute little kid.Funny pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous photo! Your friends sound lovely - I love that you know each others ins and outs and quirks and that you accept and embrace each other for them. It is wonderful having a friend you can trust with your whole heart and confide in with your innermost thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an AMAZING photo!!! Such a cute bunch of kids! You really have such an amazing way with words... I really feel like everything you write always makes such perfect sense and you have an ability to describe people, things and places with such accuracy and honesty! I always look forawrd to your next blog entry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. little Hoppykins...a beautiful post and very kind words from a kind, genuine, warm and delightful soul. I laughed about your 'arbour of strength' comment- as i remembered that fateful day I provided safe arbour from that particularly cranky german shepherd ;-) I would still stand protector between you & any "vicious type" any old day!! Don't ever change gorgeous girl...you are adored xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll get you back to those concerts hopkins!! Just like I got you to eat big fat cow muscles!!!! Thanks for the kind words.
    Love you
    Lynelle

    ReplyDelete