Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lily's 5th Birthday Party - 'The Pool Party Cake'

This year, I was of sound mind and as such, thinking realistically and sensibly - we went off site for the 5th birthday party - so all I had to do was make the cake.

Lily chose the 'Pool Party Cake' from the 1970's version of the 'Women's Weekly Birthday Cake Cook Book' - the book that takes all of us adults, for a beautiful walk down memory lane.

This book (having been left lying around at our place this week) has sparked enthusiasm from everyone who has happened to pick it up. Each person, more excited than the next!

My sister went through it pointing out the cakes that she had as a child. Paul and I did the same, and at Lily's party today, so many people identified with the beloved 'Pool Party Cake' from the original Women's Weekly Birthday Cake Cook Book'.

The cakes that people said they picked and loved best (from all those years ago) - said so much about their personality. It was fascinating. The boys or rather the men (and now fathers), as involved in the conversation as the women. It seems that the memory of having a slab of sponge turned into a cricket pitch, never fades.

Mum gave me the copy of the very book that she used to bake our cakes when we were kids, complete with splatters of batter stains and drops of icing.

I have written beside each cake that Lily has chosen, the age she turned when she chose each cake. And this year, my little water baby chose the 'pool' cake.

What was your favourite childhood birthday cake ?????????????

9 comments:

  1. awesome!!! My sister Larissa had this one (with green jelly I believe and cupie dolls).
    I adore the detail, time spent, the love and good wishes and selflessness involved in someone baking a cake (or cooking/making anything for that matter!) for another.
    A beautiful selfless, delicious act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily's Pool Cake turned out fabulously you clever lady!! Gosh I grew up with cakes from that book too! I am not sure if the farmyard cake is on that one, but I had quite a few of those in my day with the chocolate finger biscuits around the edge and plastic animals on top:) I hope Lily had a wonderful 5th Birthday. Hope you are having a lovely Mothers Day Tracey ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - Claire - yes, in the Women's Weekly cook book the 'pool cake' had green jelly 'water' too! They didn't make blue back then. It is historical that book.

    You are right though, perhaps it is the fact that someone went to great trouble to make something yummy and colourful and creative -all for you.

    As an adult, what would you love to have made for you now??? I might think about that one? What would represent you? Something musical of course. The piano in that book is gorgeous with the keys on the piano (the ivory actually) made out of fingers of white chocolate! The piano in the book even has this cute, little ornamental chandelier on top.

    I might like a big heart cake with a red satin ribbon around it tied in a thick velvety bow, the top totally covered in unwrapped milk Lindt Balls - across the entire surface area of the top?!? Yummy and and decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina - yes, the farm yard cake, that is so cute. Where you a farm girl? I was - born and raised. So interesting to hear that memory of yours. The animals on top - that is cute.

    Happy mother's Day to you too honey x o

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember making a cake like that for my daughter with tiny little dolls that had lifesaver lollies as floaties...alas, all the dolls sank into the jelly!! And when Ben was two I made him a zoo one, and he proceeded to put all the plastic animals into the cake head first! Those were the days!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS -putting the animals head first into the cake! What ever keeps them happy, I say x o Tracey

    Does it feel like yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the Maypole cake and the wishing well for my 7th and 8th birthday. What a great trip down memory lane. Im going to ask my mum can I have our old and very used birthday cake book. We had teddy bears and cricket pitches and soccer balls. What beautiful memories. Thankyou Trace for an inspiring and lovely memory. Yes it feels just like yesterday. Love you heaps Cath xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Maypole cake is so pretty and cute - just like you, beautiful girl!

    I love hearing of your most memorable cake and that you will ask your Mum for her original birthday cake cook book! a family relic

    Tracey x o x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wishing well - that is so beautiful. I wonder what you wished at that age?!

    Tracey x o

    ReplyDelete