Monday, January 24, 2011

All set for a new year - just don't open the Tupperware cupboard or think about how I will get to work on time.

For the first couple of weeks of the holidays, after hosting Christmas Day, I was a dead loss. I reclined on the lounge and read - intermittendly eating, swimming at the beach, drinking, reading, snoozing, reading, eating, swimming, snoozing - ad infinitum...

Bone tired from the year behind us, I needed the rest and had no qualms about taking it. The three of us all pottered about doing our own thing and re-charged our batteries, usually within a 5 metre radius of one another. I have a feeling that regardless of the size of our house, we would all be under foot.

In the last week of the holidays, however, I have bustled about our house like the Chatelaine of a castle! - albeit, a small castle. I have fastidiously cleaned out every conceivable cupboard space, bowl or receptacle hiding years' worth of crud. Anything that was not bolted down - went. Paul was concerned about his own tenure at one point.

My mood whilst cleaning was...well perhaps I should ask Paul and Lily because at the end of my rampage, when red-faced and puffing like a billy, I announced that I had finished the overhaul, Paul and Lily eyeballed each other and made comments to suggest that they were very pleased that in fact " The Mummy had come back!!!"

As a result I am now looking at sparkling, clean surfaces...I am subdued and surrounded by clean air and fresh focus!

"The quality of daily life is what matters, the taste of the food on the table, the light in the room, the peace and wholeness of the moment".
- Germaine Greer


Mind you, I couldn't come at the Tupperware cupboard. Nor could I encourage Paul or the wee one to assist with the plastic avalanche that greets us daily upon opening the cupboard door. I am talking about our Tupperware cupboard that is full to capacity but houses not one matching lid+container combo.

Now all I have to worry about is gearing up for the school runs in the morning and getting myself and Lily to school on time! Orchestrating school lunches, having the school casual phone and dropping my big school babe at her room each morning without invoking separation anxiety are the next issues on my agenda...

Any advice from Mums or Dads who already have little folk at big school?

5 comments:

  1. You puffing, Virgo superstar! This is something I SO need to do...but the enormity of the task stops me in my tracks every time :-(
    The school run will happen... just muster the energy of the above task & a sargeant major attitude daily. I have faith in you dear one xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at Germaine Greer's comment seeing as she didn't have children to contend with! However, Tracey I will welcome you to our place anytime to do a makeover with the cupboards. Have a great year at work!
    I still remember the stress of getting the kids organised for baby-sitter, pre-school/school etc etc etc and myself for work, though strangely enough, the kids don't remember a thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you need to find a Tupperware party to go to lol they are so boring.
    I love that you always have your family so close thats so sweet.They say that the people who you love the most and you feel the most comfortable with are the ones you can spend time with in the same room and not feel obligated to make conversation with.
    This is good ive just been on the computer for 3o mins and Eric should read the paper soon.
    Happy Australia Day love you xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like me the past few weeks - I've been desperate to do a beginning of the year clean-up and declutter, all ready to start the new year (well February onwards) fresh. As I type, I have just sat down at the computer after overhauling our laundry - lots of unused items in there! Hope all goes well for Lily's transition to 'big school' x

    ReplyDelete