Monday, August 23, 2010

Writing beside the scent of sweet peas...



I really rate the concept of 'giving a service'. Obviously I also enjoy being the recipient of a service too!

My sister Trudy has looked after Lily for me, when Lily has been sick, with a roaring temp, when I had an extremely important event on at work that I could not get out of. She has taken a sick day, made the drive from Sydney and administered panadol every 4-6 hours, recording each dosage in 24-hour time with the precision of the intensive care nurse that she is.

When I come home from work, I get an official, medical 'hand over' that falls just short of her asking me to sign, indicating that I have understood the state of the patient, before I take over my shift.

My friend Lynelle rang me today and told me to 'save the date' for the 25th of September, as her husband is cooking a 3 course meal for her and 4 of her closest friends for her birthday. Lynelle asked her husband for this service, as a gift.

My artist friend, Caroline, provides a service to her community. She teaches art at her son's pre-school each week. I am told that every youngster in the centre knows who Andy Warhol is as a result of this and the little, characters have created Pop Art inspired portraits of themselves to prove that they are familiar with this genre.

As I watch Paul wash every pair of dirty clothing in our household each week, I love the man more and more and more...

I love that before I went to bed last night I said to Paul (the early bird), "after your surf in the morning can you pick up a tub of wax (as in hair removal wax) from the supermarket when you pick up the morning papers?" Bless this man, he buys the bread, the ingredients for our nightly meal etc... all before I have even got out of bed.

My point is this - this morning I awoke to my breakfast, the papers and a tub of wax. Give me the luxury of a service over an expensive, dust collecting gift any day.

We all procure far too much 'stuff'. In a time poor society, giving time to others is precious.

Incidentally:

"Australians, per capita, are the biggest producers of waste in the world, averaging 2.25 kilograms a person every day". planetark.org

6 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful Trudes you must be enjoying your study as much as you did getting out of bed in the morning cold when you were a teenager.lol remember Pampoolah.
    And Tracey you are such a sweetheart how lovely to have such a close bond as sisters.
    You two critters crack me up with your antics
    Just tonight Eric did something that showed such love and support that it was amazing great feeling.I love the people you love helping you its priceless.
    Hmmm september the 25th great date.xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed your birthday is just around the corner and when Lynelle said the 25th I thought of you. Don't you love having your birthday in spring?! x o Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting you should write about this. My daughter is writing an article (she works at a magazine) and asked on FB what makes people happy. One of the things I said was doing something for someone else that meant something to them, and unexpected acts of thoughtfulness. Glad to see someone else thinks so too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracey, hope things arent' too hectic over your way with work and daily life. This is such a great post - I too think that acts of service are a great way of helping others. Have you ever read the book 'The Five Love Languages'? - this talks about doing things for others as being an important way to show we care. Only last night when I had popped down to the gym (first time in about 2 months!!) I left Grace with Paul to give dinner etc. only to return home to find the kitchen had been cleaned, the dishwasher stacked and everything spick and span - really made my night :) You are so sweet to have helped your sister with her assignment. Love your gorgeous sweet peas above. Thanks for stopping by my blog - your comments always make me smile and I'm so glad to have met you through these blogs of ours. Enjoy the rest of your week x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh indeed September is a great time of year for a birthday so sunny and fun.We are planning our holiday to Thailand in october its just hard to get away with my work at the moment.
    I never forget your birthday not many days to go now xox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracy my dear sweet friend, what a wonderful life you lead xx such an inspiration, and such lovely, kind, generous people filled to the brim in your world x

    ReplyDelete